WHO I AM
I founded Bellwether Strategies with one goal in mind: to help professionals build their practices in a smarter, more effective way.
I’ve worked exclusively with professional service organizations for more than 15 years. My clients include private firms, individual professionals, public institutions and non-profit professional associations.
I grew up in Saskatchewan, and went to university in Saskatoon where I earned a B.A. in anthropology (which is surprisingly useful when observing organizational culture). I earned an honours diploma in public relations at the B.C. Institute of Technology and have completed major certifications in my field, including two programs from the Reputation Institute and one to become a certified legal project management coach.
How I Work
Clients hire me for specific projects. My role is to help you reach the point where your marketing, reputation building and related strategies become sustainable, using the resources and training we develop together.
I am practical. I will start small, learn your goals and determine what ‘fits’. I will not advise you to invest in anything that isn’t systematic, actionable or suitable to your purposes. If you want glamour and glossy ads, you’re on the wrong website. If you want relevant solutions that bring value to your clients, stay here.
I understand that my clients need evidence. Much of my work is research-based. I often conduct primary and secondary research for client projects. It’s important that you make strategic decisions and investments based on information that is grounded in reality (i.e. facts).
I work with clients who are genuinely interested in improving their practices. I am forthright about this. You don’t need to change who you are. But you might need to adjust the way things have always been done. The good news is that I’ll try to make it as easy for you and your organization as possible.
Recent Professional Activities
- Member, Association of Change Management Professionals, since 2017
- Contributing Author, Legal Project Management Quick Reference Guide, 4th Edition, 2016
- Chair, Independent Communicators Special Interest Group, International Association of Business Communicators BC Branch , since 2015
- Blogger for Canada’s online legal magazine, Slaw.ca, since 2014
- Speaker, Canadian Bar Association Alberta – Southern Section, Young Lawyers Subsection – “Nine Secrets to Building a Reputation Early in Your Legal Career“, 2014
- Guest Lecturer, Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s Public Relations Program, Introduction to Media Relations Course, 2014
- Speaker, “Reputation Management for Law Firm Recruitment Success” Vancouver Professional Development Network, 2013
- Speaker, “Reputation Management”, Pacific Dental Conference, 2013
- Member, Editorial Board, Legal Business Development Guide by James Hassett, Ph.D., 2012